Ah, choices….we all make them in life, and this week’s winner discusses his choices freely, choices based on what he values as opposed to what he doesn’t. And that’s freedom, isn’t it? Here’s a slice from The Razor’s fine essay Chosen Paths: Why I Don’t Resent People Making More Money Than I Do :
Our system has its flaws. I have personally lost a job in a futile campaign against offshoring and labor dumping through the government’s meddling in the labor market. I worry about things like the cost of education and the future value of college degrees. Just like many liberals I too resent seeing the same people who caused the financial meltdown still in power instead of the chains they deserve. But for all of its flaws, it’s still the best at providing choice to anyone who demands it.If you want to become a doctor, you can become one. If you want to start your own business and sell tutus to little girls studying dance, you can. If you want to start a restaurant or cook at one, there is no bureaucrat needing a bribe or law preventing you. Our system excels at providing choices to people whereas other systems provide outcomes. You are a farmer, but you will sell your produce to us at a price we determine. You are a doctor, but we will determine how much you are paid for each patient. You want to sell shoes in my district, you will have to pay me a flat fee every month (that’s how my friend Jan Mohamed was shaken down in Tanzania under socialism).
It takes much more than education and hard work to become a millionaire or a billionaire. To reach those heights one needs luck, family connections – a variety of things that are out of reach to all but a very few. But if you are young and your goal is to make a solid middle class salary of $100k a year, or $200k for the top 2% of households, you have to choose a career that pays well and you have to marry or live with someone with the same goal. There’s nothing magical about that formula, and no reason to resent those who have achieved that goal.
As my late mother-in-law said, usually when I had come home complaining after a rough day at the office or the Wife had a particularly tough night on call, “You chose this path.” And we have, all of us, chosen our paths. The Wife and I could have chosen to forgo having children, moved to a major city and gotten higher paying jobs; but we chose to live in a rural area with our rescued animals and our son. She could make much more money as a dermatologist or cardiologist, but she chose the lower paying specialty of family medicine because she wanted to be an old country doctor.
In our Non-Council category the winner was a superb piece by The Investigative Project On Terrorism entitled Abbas could be next Domino To Fall submitted by Right Truth, an examination of why the corrupt, unelected Arab dictator of the ‘Palestinian’ Authority could easily be the next victim of the Arab Spring.
Here are this week’s full results. New Zeal was unable to vote this week and was affected by the mandatory 2/3 vote penalty:
- *First place with 2 2/3 votes! The Razor––Chosen Paths: Why I Don’t Resent People Making More Money Than I Do
- Second place with 2 votes – Bookworm Room-The USS Carl Vinson rocks!
- Third place with 1 1/3 votes – The Noisy Room –The Occupiers’ Siren Song
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Right Truth-White House Reaction to Violence in Egypt
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Simply Jews-The Assassination Conundrum
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Joshuapundit – FBI and DEA Foil Iran Plot To Murder Saudi Ambassador
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote – New Zeal – Communists Lead “Occupy Los Angeles” Movement – Nationwide Takeover Planned
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote – GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – al-Qods!
- First place with 2 2/3 votes! – The Investigative Project On Terrorism- ABBas Could Be Next Domino To Fallsubmitted by Right Truth
- Second place with 1 2/3 votes – Iowahawk – En El Telefono submitted by Joshuapundit
- Third place with 1 1/3 vote –Michelle Obama’s Mirror – The People of OWS: like the People of Walmart – only not as smart submitted by The Razor
- Fourth place with 1 vote –Seth Godin – The forever recession (and the coming revolution) submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Gateway Pundit – Her Name Was Ruth submitted by Rhymes With Right
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Accuracy in Media – Van Jones Media Mouthpiece Gets Russian Cash submitted by New Zeal
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Buckhorn Road – Sacramento restaurant closures provide a lesson in free-market economics submitted by The Colossus Of Rhodey
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Urban Infidel – Occupy Wall Street Revisited – Zucotti Square: Bio-Hazard Colony Emits Weapons Grade Odor submitted by Bookworm Room
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Raymond Ibrahim – Egypt: Destroying Churches, One at a Time submitted by The Watcher
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Small Wars Journal – Drone Wars? Not Quite submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Labor Union Report – Occupy Wall St’s Neo-Communist System of “Collaboratism” Revealed submitted by VA Right!
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Ben Stein – Go Occupy Yourselves, My Darlings submitted by The Political Commentator
- Share this:
Welcome to the Watcher’s Council, a blogging group consisting of some of the most incisive blogs in the ‘sphere, and the longest running group of its kind in existence. Every week, the members nominate two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council.Then we vote on the best two posts, with the results appearing on Friday.
You can, too! Want to see your work appear on the Watcher’s Council homepage in our weekly contest listing? Didn’t get nominated by a Council member? No worries.
Simply head over to the ‘Contact Me’ page at Joshuapundit and post a link to the piece you want considered along with a mandatory e-mail address so I can contact you (which won’t be published) in the comments section no later than Monday 6PM PST to be considered for our honorable mention category, and return the favor by creating a post on your site linking to the Watcher’s Council contest for the week.
It’s a great way of exposing your best work to Watcher’s Council readers and Council members. while grabbing the increased traffic and notoriety. And how good is that, eh?
So, let’s see what we have this week….
- Simply Jews – The Assassination Conundrum
- The Noisy Room – The Occupiers’ Siren Song
- New Zeal – Communists Lead “Occupy Los Angeles” Movement – Nationwide Takeover Planned
- The Colossus of Rhodey – Today’s Occupy Wall Street Moment
- The Political Commentator – NYU Law School study: The homegrown terror threat in the U.S. has been manufactured!
- Joshuapundit–FBI and DEA Foil Iran Plot To Murder Saudi Ambassador
- Right Truth – White House Reaction to Violence in Egypt
- The Razor – Chosen Paths: Why I Don’t Resent People Making More Money Than I Do
- Bookworm Room – The USS Carl Vinson rocks!
- VA Right – Rick Perry Has a Jeremiah Wright of His Very Own!
- The Glittering Eye –The End of the Illusion?
- Rhymes With Right – Rick Perry Opposes Sanctuary Cities, Supports Sanctuary Colleges And Universities
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – al-Qods!
- The Right Planet – Wall Street Under Occupation: The Dissipation of America
- Capitalist Preservation – Where are Libya’s missing missiles?
- Terry Glavin – Go, find Peter, and stand with him. He will need friends. submitted by Simply Jews
- Pajamas Media/Zombie –US Military 1 — Occupy Movement 0 submitted by The Noisy Room
- Accuracy In Media – Van Jones Media Mouthpiece Gets Russian Cash submitted by New Zeal
- Buckhorn Road – Sacramento restaurant closures provide a lesson in free-market economics submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Ben Stein –Go Occupy Yourselves, My Darlings submitted by The Political Commentator
- Iowahawk – En El Telefono submitted by Joshuapundit
- The Investigative Project On Terrorism –Abbas coulc be next Domino To Fall submitted by Right Truth
- Michelle Obama’s Mirror –The People of OWS: like the People of Walmart – only not as smart submitted by The Razor
- Urban Infidel –Occupy Wall Street Revisited – Zucotti Square: Bio-Hazard Colony Emits Weapons Grade Odor submitted by Bookworm Room
- Labor Union Report – OccupyWallSt’s Neo-Communist System of “Collaboratism” Revealed submitted by VA Right
- Seth Godin – The forever recession (and the coming revolution) submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Gateway Pundit – Her Name Was Ruth submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Small Wars Journal – Drone Wars? Not Quite submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Tom McClintock – A Second Term for Obama Would Look Like California Does Now submitted by The Watcher
- Raymond Ibrahim – Egypt: Destroying Churches, One at a Time submitted by The Watcher