We had a tie this week in the Council category between Joshuapundit’s Blood And Sand a piece with some observations on Libyan dictator Moamar Khaddaffi’s fate that might not be apparent at first look and Bookworm Room’s Is it true that the poor ye always have with you? , an excellent essay on what being ‘poor’ means in America as opposed to the rest of the world and more importantly, how our culture and educational system have fed the unrealistic sense of entitlement evidenced by the OWS protesters.
In accordance with our by-laws, I put on my Watcher’s hat to break the tie, which always gets decided in favor of my fellow Council members in these situations where I’m involved. And so I’m proud to cast my vote and declare Bookworm Room’s Is it true that the poor ye always have with you? as this week’s very worthy winner! Here’s a slice:
But in a peculiar way, those non-starving, non-homeless, non-refugee young people playing at being poor in cities across America have a point. They represent some very specific — and sad — types of poverty.
To begin with, there’s the sense of poverty created by utterly ludicrous expectations. We promised these kids that they were all “good enough, smart enough and, gosh darn it!, that everyone would like them.” We promised them that they were all number one, and that they would never need to make any actual effort to achieve that blue ribbon status. We taught them, through MTV and computer games, that a 3 minute attention span is sufficiently long to be awesomely cool and win the game. And, God help us, we taught them that a Womyn’s Studies, or Africana Studies, or GLBT Studies, or Oppressed People’s degree from some big name university would assure them the kind of job that would enable them to pay off $25,000 or $100,000 or even $250,000 in student loans. We, the older generation, created this wealth of stupidity.
These young people also suffer from a vast intellectual and moral poverty. One of the things that shines through when we interview the people taking to the streets is that so many are woefully ignorant, and that they wallow in a sea of relativism that allows for no morality other than that gained by intense navel gazing. They are the antithesis of the original American revolutionaries, whose leaders were men of exceptional erudition and thoughtfulness, and whose followers knew at the very least their Bible and Pilgrim’s Progress. Revolutionaries of old were shaped by philosophy, known science, literature, practical life experience, and a deep sense of morality and justice. Today’s little park piddlers are shaped by an aching sense of unfairness, a terrible fear of human-kind (that would be the AGW shtick), and a morality shaped by Oprah and whichever fabulously rich Hollywood Leftist happens to grab the microphone on any given day.
These self-styled 99%-ers are not poor, not by any known standard, either today or in the history of the world. They are intellectually and emotionally bereft, but otherwise awash in material benefits.
The fact that these posers aren’t poor, as poverty has traditionally been understood, does not mean that there aren’t poor people in America. New immigrants are poor, although America quickly absorbs them and propels their children and grandchildren into the working and middle class. Elderly people whose life savings have been destroyed by the Democrat economy are poor, and deserve our help. Those who suffer from profound physical or mentally disabilities, through birth or injury, may experience great poverty, and they too deserve our help. Those are traditional kinds of poverty and, true to Jesus’ word, we will always have these people with us.
Lastly, there is a unique kind of poverty, one that could only occur in America. I know about this poverty because someone close to me dwells among these poor (although she is not quite of them), and reports back faithfully. These are not people who are poor in the old-fashioned way. They were not deprived of opportunities due to class distinctions, because we do not have a European-style class-based society. Although most are profoundly ignorant, all had available to them the basics of an American public school education. Living in the modern age, their lives have not been blighted by epidemic diseases (polio, rheumatic fever, mumps, measles, small pox, etc.), nor have their family structures been decimated by the mortality that ripped through the pre-modern world, leaving large numbers of children as half or full orphans.
We also had a tie this week between two must read entries in our non-Council category, Bruce Thornton’s excellent piece in FrontPage Magazine, Obama’s Libyan Disaster submitted by The Noisy Room and Andrew Klavan’s The Mask Of Fascism submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey.
Tough choice here! Thornton, astute observer that he is picked up as I and a number of others did that the back slapping the president is getting in certain circles over our Libyan adventure is extremely misguided. Thanks to our intervention on behalf of Britain and France’s oil contracts, Libya is now an Islamist state under sharia and a likely candidate for a part of the new Caliphate, and Thornton lays out the facts bluntly on the damage done.
Klavan’s masterful essay probed the fascist underpinning of the core of OWS movement in his inimitable style, and those of you familiar with his work won’t be disappointed.
In the end, after careful consideration, I ended up going with Thornton’s Obama’s Libyan Disaster, but like I said, tough choice and both are excellent reads.
Here are this week’s full results:
- *First place with 4 votes!Bookworm Room ––Is it true that the poor ye always have with you?
- Second place with 3 votes – Joshuapundit-Blood And Sand
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes – The Razor-Watching the Final Moments of a Dictator’s Life
- Fourth place with 1 1/3 votes – The Right Planet-The True ‘Social Compact’
- Fifth place with 1 vote – The Mellow Jihadi – Warm Afghani Feet, a Barefooted Blogger, and One Bear Footsie
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Noisy Room – Barack Obama and the Enemies Within
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Colossus of Rhodey – M.L.K. Memorial Quote-a-palooza
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Right Truth – Open Letter to Herman Cain – UPDATED
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – VA Right! – Former KKK Grand Dragon David Duke Supports Occupy Wall Street
- Fourth place *t* with 1/3 vote – GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Iraq: The UnAssing
- First place with 3 1/3 votes!FrontPage Magazine– – Obama’s Libyan Disaster submitted byThe Noisy Room
- Second place with 2 1/3 votes – Andrew Klavan – The Mask Of Fascism submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Third place *t* with 1 2/3 votes –Barry Rubin – Obama’s Foreign Policy: Manchurian Candidate or Keystone Kop? submitted by Joshuapundit
- Third place *t* with 1 2/3 votes –Pam Geller/American Thinker – Reading The real Qu’ran submitted by The Razor
- Fourth place with 1 1/3 vote – Big Peace – Why I’m Baffled And Troubled About The Alleged Iranian-Terror Plot submitted by The Mellow Jihadi
- Fifth place with 1/3 vote –The Last Refuge – Optical Illusions and Falsehoods From The President…… Ugly Stuff submitted by Right Truth
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Reason Hit And Run – Gaddafi Snuff Footage submitted by Rhymes With Right
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Via Meadia – The Vain And Empty Rituals Of Protest On The Streets submitted by Bookworm Room
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Michael Yon – Golden Seconds submitted by The Watcher
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Kausfiles – Yglesias Blows Graphs, Part II submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote –American Power – Occupy Wall Street and the Jews submitted by The Political Commentator
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote –Iowahawk – Together, I Shall Ride You To Victory submitted by VA Right!
Welcome to the Watcher’s Council, a blogging group consisting of some of the most incisive blogs in the ‘sphere, and the longest running group of its kind in existence. Every week, the members nominate two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council.Then we vote on the best two posts, with the results appearing on Friday.
This week’s contest is dedicated to TOTUS..may he soon return safely, because there’s no POTUS without TOTUS.And to our pal Gerard Van Der Leun…get well soon Bro.
You can, too! Want to see your work appear on the Watcher’s Council homepage in our weekly contest listing? Didn’t get nominated by a Council member? No worries.
Simply head over to Joshuapundit and post the link and title of the piece you want considered along with an e-mail address ( which won’t be published) in the comments section no later than Monday 6PM PST to be considered for our honorable mention category, and return the favor by creating a post on your site linking to the Watcher’s Council contest for the week.
It’s a great way of exposing your best work to Watcher’s Council readers and Council members. while grabbing the increased traffic and notoriety. And how good is that, eh?
So, let’s see what we have this week….
- The Noisy Room – Barack Obama and the Enemies Within
- The Mellow Jihadi – Warm Afghani Feet, a Barefooted Blogger, and One Bear Footsie
- Rhymes With Right – What A Difference A Couple Of Years Makes
- The Political Commentator – A 30-year NYPD veteran pays the price for political correctness and government fear of the OWS movement! (Video)
- The Colossus of Rhodey – M.L.K. Memorial Quote-a-palooza
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Iraq: The UnAssing
- The Right Planet – The True ‘Social Compact’
- VA Right! – Former KKK Grand Dragon David Duke Supports Occupy Wall Street
- Bookworm Room – Is it true that the poor ye always have with you?
- Joshuapundit–Blood And Sand
- Right Truth – Open Letter to Herman Cain – UPDATED
- The Razor – Watching the Final Moments of a Dictator’s Life
- The Glittering Eye –Norman Corwin, 1910-2011
- New Zeal – Treason? Senior Communist Lobbies “Super Committee” for Defense Cuts
- Simply Jews – Plastic bags for bathrooms
- The Grouch – Fun With Looney Facebook Liberals
- Liberty’s Spirit – Of Terrorists, Negotiations and Two-Faced Bullcrap
- FrontPage Magazine – Obama’s Libyan Disaster submitted by The Noisy Room
- Big Peace – Why I’m Baffled And Troubled About The Alleged Iranian-Terror Plot submitted by The Mellow Jihadi
- Reason Hit And Run – Gaddafi Snuff Footage submitted by Rhymes with Right
- American Power –Occupy Wall Street and the Jews submitted by The Political Commentator
- Andrew Klavan – The Mask Of Fascism submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Pressure Points – Obama and Libya: Hold the Triumphalism, Please submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- American Thinker – OWS: Easy Prey submitted by The Right Planet
- Iowahawk – Together, I Shall Ride You To Victory submitted by VA Right
- Via Meadia–The Vain And Empty Rituals Of Protest On The Streets submitted by Bookworm Room
- Barry Rubin – Obama’s Foreign Policy: Manchurian Candidate or Keystone Kop? submitted by Joshuapundit
- The Last Refuge –Optical Illusions and Falsehoods From The President…… Ugly Stuff submitted by Right Truth
- Pam Geller/American Thinker –Reading The real Qu’ran submitted by The Razor
- Kausfiles – Yglesias Blows Graphs, Part II submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Michael Yon – Golden Seconds submitted by The Watcher
- Human Events – SunPower: Twice As Bad As Solyndra, Twice As Bad For Obama submitted by The Watcher